MERLIN MCDRSC Charge
The MERLIN Collection Development & Reference Services Committee, abbreviated MCDRSC, includes representatives from the MIRACL libraries: University of Missouri System Libraries (UM-C, UM-KC, Missouri S&T, UM-STL), Saint Louis University Libraries, and Washington University Library.
GOAL: To develop, monitor and evaluate the MIRACL level collections and enhance and facilitate user access to shared electronic resources, in order to strengthen the information resource base of the member institutions thereby promoting excellence in academic research and instruction.
The MERLIN Collection Development & Reference Services Committee (MCDRSC) is charged by the MERLIN/MIRACL Library Directors to address the following issues and others as directed:
- The MERLIN Collection Development & Reference Services Committee (MCDRSC) will develop an effective process for the selection of electronic resources for consortial purchase.
- Gather available data for MERLIN resources for a thorough evaluation of their value to users.
- Review database options to determine the best additions or replacements.
- Study, evaluate, and recommend to the MERLIN Library Directors and the MIRACL Library Directors the selection, deselection, or other changes to the group of jointly funded databases and full-content electronic information resources.
- Develop mechanisms to survey relative collection strengths throughout the consortium and to suggest purchases to increase coverage where needs are identified.
- Work with MCO to monitor national current practices and innovative efforts by other consortium or purchasing-group efforts, vendor offers, or other selection models to maximize available funding to meet user information needs.
- The MCDRSC will oversee system-wide decisions relating to the configuration and presentation of the MERLIN online catalog and databases.
- Share current promotion and instruction methods of MERLIN resources in use at individual campuses
- Investigate means of integration of shared electronic resources
- Committee members will consult with users and colleagues on their respective campuses in reviewing the MERLIN WebPAC options to determine the best additions or replacements and coordinate implementation with MCO.
Composition of the Committee:
In accordance with the latest MERLIN Committee Structure guidelines, the MERLIN Collection Development & Reference Services Committee (MCDRSC) will follow the principle of one vote per campus.
-10 August 2004